Maryland Center for Montessori Studies (MCMS) offers the following credentials:
- American Montessori Society’s (AMS) Early Childhood Credential (ages 2.5 through 6 year olds) for adults with a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited 4-year college; this credential is also awarded to students educated overseas if a credential evaluation finds his/her qualifications equivalent to a 4-year degree from an accredited institution within the US.
- American Montessori Society’s (AMS) Associate Early Childhood Credential (ages 2.5 through 6 year olds) for non-college graduates. Associate Credential candidates are responsible for verifying local regulations to determine qualifications for employment. Associate Credential candidates are required to sign a statement verifying that they understand that some locations or schools may not accept an Associate credential as the qualification for full teaching responsibility. AMS strongly encourages holders of the Associate Credential to obtain a bachelor’s degree within 7 years of credentialing.
The admission procedure begins with the applicant’s request for information and the discussion between the prospective applicant and MCMS. Determining “the best fit” is the conversation that ensues and requires sincere reflective thinking on the part of the prospective applicant. The “fit” is multi-dimensional, taking into account familial needs, time, financial constraints, professional suitability, and further consideration. This inner process, aided by MCMS with information, is the critical reflective, first step in the admissions process.
The next step in the admissions process is the submission of the Application along with the Application fee.
Based upon the necessary documents submitted (see below) and the discussions with the applicant, MCMS determines the applicant’s ability to benefit from the course, commitment to the profession, academic preparation, and feasibility of successful completion. MCMS will notify the applicant their admission decision of the final submission of all required admissions documents.
Step by Step: Applying and Acceptance
Fill out the Early Childhood Application and submit it to the MCMS Office with the application fee. Following the completion of the application and application fee, the following items are required to be submitted for the full application to be considered complete:
- Official Transcript
– Transcript for Bachelors degree or higher (Evaluation by a NACES member service is required for degrees granted outside the United States.)
– OR a high school or GED diploma (for AMS Associate Early Childhood Credential)
- Three professional or academic letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement of Purpose for attending the Early Childhood Credential program (3-5 paragraphs)
Candidates will be interviewed by the Program Director either in person or by telephone before acceptance to the program. MCMS reserves the right to make the final decision concerning an applicant’s admission to the program.
Maryland Center for Montessori Studies (MCMS) is operated by the Montessori Society of Central Maryland, Inc., located at Greenspring Montessori School in Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland.
Baltimore Montessori Conference
The second annual Baltimore Montessori Conference will be held at Greenspring Montessori School on Saturday, April 7, 2018 - featuring engaging workshops for Montessori guides, assistants, administrators, and parents.